princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Tommy Sullivan Is A Freak - Meg Cabot There’s really not much that I can say on this book. There are some books that work well when they’re character-driven, but a good plot also helps. The problem with this book is that not only is the plot kind of weak, but the characters really don’t drive the story much.I do like Katie as a character; she’s flawed and acknowledges said flaws. She’s still a likeable and relatable character. I like the fact that she tries to right the wrongs she’s made over the years. However, since she is a Meg Cabot heroine, her tendency to exaggerate the situation tends to get a little old, particularly in this. The other problem I have with Katie is that she has characteristics—she’s a photographer! She has motion sickness! Etc, etc.—but they really don’t define Katie as a person. Her interests and quirks feel like they’re off a checklist instead of actually making her a character. This is another book where the supporting cast is really weak. When the most entertaining person of a YA romantic comedy is the best friend, there’s something wrong. Tommy Sullivan is, again, every single Meg Cabot love interest that I’ve read and there’s really not much more to his whole backstory. However, I like that members of the It Crowd are Katie’s friends and even after the eventual reveal, they’re actual friends who will stick by her, no matter what. But when the best friend in a YA rom-com ends up being the most interesting character…yeah, there’s something wrong.The biggest issue I have with the book overall is the plot. I can buy the high school kids not being happy that Tommy came back to town after exposing the local football team as being cheaters. But the adults getting on said hatred is a little too exaggerated. (I live in a football-obsessed town, but it’s a national team, so I’m not used to the massive high school football worship.) I can buy some parents not being happy with this, but for one town uniting against a kid is overkill.Through my reread, this felt a lot like Queen of Babble—it’s good and enjoyable, but it’s bland and there’s nothing new that brings anything to the genre.