princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Snuff [Discworld]

Snuff - Terry Pratchett Huzzah, this year’s Discworld book is out and I have read it! The Night Watch cycle isn’t in my top favorites in the series (those would be the Witches of Lancre and Death), but starting with Men at Arms, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the set.What works extremely well is that Vimes is out of his element and there’s little involvement with the rest of the Ankh-Morpork Watch. Which I liked, not only does it put Vimes into a situation wherein he needs to send a member out to do some investigating, but he gets to go back and do coppering on his own. (Not that the AM Watch doesn’t get involved in the mystery, they’re just not AS involved.) There’s always been a sense of class warfare in the later Night Watch books, so having Vimes deal with those prejudices in the much-slower-to-adapt countryside, particularly with the tenants of his land, was interesting than the usual “Ankh-Morpork aristocrats dealing in dirty business.” (More on that below.) (Also, the Pride and Prejudice parody of Sibyl’s friends was brilliant.)While I liked the main plot of the triangle trade and getting further into Discworld’s tolerance levels, I had some trouble adjusting to the goblin plotline. I liked their inclusion, I liked learning about their culture and it’s noticeably different from any number of the races that have appeared prior. But the whole subplot with Felicity Beedle instructing the goblins about the aboveground world felt a little too close to Nutt’s backstory from Unseen Academicals. It doesn’t help that goblins and orcs are described as being somewhat similar in physiology, and there’s the same prejudice of “Well, something THAT horrible and nasty can’t possibly be cultured!” If Snuff had come before Unseen Academicals, I think I wouldn’t have had this problem. (I don’t remember if goblins have shown up before—it’s a plot point in here, that there’s no goblin tunnels in Ankh-Morpork, but I don’t remember if they’ve popped up beforehand.) That said though, I did like the triangle trade plot. It was interesting, it kept me guessing on how things were going to turn out in the end. I also liked Colon’s attachment to the goblin jar—Cheery even says in the book that his attitude to non-human species needs a firm readjustment, and I did like his character development.Wilikins had great development in this. Thud! mentioned his street gang past, and I loved seeing his methods of ‘dealing’ with unscrupulous individuals. On the other hand, I would have liked more characterization and motivation for Stratford, aside from the money. Having murderous psychopaths is all well and fine, but there’s a large amount of them on the Discworld. I would have liked to have seen more of the bartender and his backstory, and I really liked Feeney and Jefferson. Part of me wants a spin-off series. I also loved the down scenes with Young Sam and Vimes—there was a little of this in Thud!, but it’s nice to see Vimes take time out of his day to spend with his son, even if the majority of their activities are poo-related. And, also, Vetinari losing his shit over the crossword puzzle compiler is WIN.Overall, it’s decent entry in the series, definitely a step forward to Vimes, but it’s not quite jumped into my absolute favorite pile.