princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

The Poison Eaters: And Other Stories

The Poison Eaters: And Other Stories - Holly Black, Theo Black Short story collections are always kind of weird to review. Unless there’s a few unifying themes or characters or events, it’s hard to classify the work as a whole. That said, while I liked The Poison Eaters, I would really recommend picking this up for fans of Holly Black or urban fantasy. The first handful of stories were a little…well, bland to be honest. I’ve read “The Coldest Girl in Coldtown” before—it’s a raw look at the pitfalls of vampirism, and I love the harsh take on it. “The Night Market” is probably my least favorite story; I’m a huge fan of Christina Rossetti’s “Goblin Market” and this retelling doesn’t have the same feel to it. “In Vodka Veritas” and “Paper Cuts Scissors” are my two favorites in the whole collection. While “In Vodka Veritas” goes with an anti-Carrie plot by the Latin Club geeks, the delivery and results are what makes it hilarious. “Paper Cuts Scissors” feels a little slow to begin with, but the meta-plot of jumping in and out of books caught my attention. (Also, I love massive crossovers, which isn’t the point of this story, but it’s referenced.) There’s also two stories added to the Modern Tales of Faerie canon that I enjoyed. Overall, it’s a good read, but not a read it right away.