princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green, David Levithan It’s interesting, I’ve just realized that I’ve never read a book that David Leviathan has written on his own. I should rectify this. Tangenting aside, there’s a lot that I enjoy about this book. I like that while all three plotlines could stand for a fairly interesting book in their own right, the story wouldn’t be complete without being told every single side to it.The thing is that neither Will Grayson or will grayson is the main character. The main character is Tiny Cooper. We are reading the book Tiny Dancer, but instead of Tiny’s POV, we’re getting it through his long-suffering best friend and the guy who broke his heart. And it completely works. We get Tiny’s journey, we get Will’s journey and will’s. Aside from the truly peripheral characters, there’s very little skimping on the characterization here. Of the two Will Graysons, I think will is the stronger character. There’s so much that we learn about him through bits of information that never really expands on what we need to know and how it relates to the story. The lowercasedness of his sections bugged me at first, but after a while, I got used to it, and it really defines him. His tone does sound jaded and too self-deprecating, but given what we know of his depression and just the way his life is, everything fits. I love the fact that he’s able to find someone after one of the worst nights of his life, and that it’s not an easy road for him to be okay with someone like Tiny. There are certain things in his story that seems overblown or that he overreacts to—specifically, finding out the truth about Isaac—but from his perspective, it doesn’t feel like he’s overreacting. will’s a very closed-off person, so it’s natural that he would feel betrayed. I also really loved his relationship with his mother. Again, there’s very little information revealed, but from their interactions and conversations, there’s so much weight there. You can really see that will and his mom really do love each other, but given their circumstances, things are hard for them to be all happy family. Will, unfortunately, reads a little too much like every other John Green character. (Yes, hypocrisy, cast me down now.) I do like him, but as for defining characteristics, I’m really not seeing anything that makes him stand out. And here I think it does work a little that there’s not much to define Will, as his life practically revolves around Tiny, as much as he likes it or not. I tend to think of Will as one of those charcters who actually does care a lot, despite his informed apathy. And while so much of his story is dependent on Tiny, it’s not like Will doesn’t grow as a character. I like seeing Tiny through someone who’s known him for a long time and has put up with Tiny’s shit. I like that Will quietly cares in his own way. So, I do have to talk about Tiny Cooper. Because, as I mentioned above, this is really a story about Tiny Cooper and his Fabulousity. I like that we do see him realize how poorly he’s been treating his friends and his many, many exes. It’s interesting, but there were parts that I could almost imagine reading the book through Tiny’s perspective, like when he has the revelation that the musical should be about love. It feels like that there should be the book about Tiny’s point-of-view of the events and his thoughts and character growth on the proceedings. (Except I don’t think that it could work very well.)As for the other side characters, I really wanted more of Gideon. I liked that will was able to make a gay friend who wasn’t automatically presented as a romantic rival. (Although I hated that Tiny had to go and make that assumption.) Jane read as kind of one-note to me; she’s supposed to be part of the catalyst for Will’s growth, but there’s really not much to her. I really wanted to see more of her, particularly in correlation to her relationship with Tiny. It’s a book where there’s a supporting cast, but I feel like they don’t really support rather than just pop up and go “Hey, there’s other people here!”Despite this, I do love this book. I like the messages of it, I like the slightly-over-the-top nature of the plot, and while the characters are a bit one-note and predictable, I still find them enjoyable and fun. I like that it’s a LGBT book that doesn’t linger on the OMG GAY ROMANCE and just presents the romances as romances, and that they’re complicated and messy and that it doesn’t matter what the sexes of the involved people are. It presents depression as being a normal thing and how it really looks like from a day-to-day perspective. It’s a book that touches on a lot of issues most realistic YA touches, but it shows these issues as almost commonplace. And that’s what I think makes it a great read. (And not to mention, how do you not want to see a musical with songs like “The Nose Tackle (Likes Tight Ends)”?)