princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance-now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! (Quirk Classics)

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Seth Grahame-Smith On paper, the premise does sound like a disaster—the definitive Regency romance with added zombie gorefest? Sounds like experimental fiction gone horribly wrong. But the weird thing is, it actually works. And I say this as a Jane Austen and a zombie fan.If you don’t think about the premise too much, it’s a very fun book. I like the idea that the very proper romance and courtship is played out over horrific scenes of flesh-eating. The use of zombies even enhances to the strict Regency society—there’s a back-and-forth between the classes about the better Oriental training for warriors, Shaolin versus ninjas. (And Lady de Bourgh has NINJA GUARDS.) Some of the fighting styles feel largely anachronistic and give off the air of being homage to kung fu movies, but we’ve already got zombies thrown in, so who cares? There’s also nods to the original book that the changes in this make a little more sense to the modern reader. As depressing as it is, I like the idea that Charlotte marries Mr. Collins because she’s slowly dying of a zombie bite. I’m a bit split on the fates of Mr. Collins and Wickham—yes, one’s a complete bastard, and the other we don’t like at all, but what happens to them by the end feels a little too much like overkill. Still, I think a hardcore fan of Pride & Prejudice would love the fact that they get their just rewards. There are a few missteps here. The biggest is that Grahame-Smith’s writing style never quite gels with Austen’s; there are a few passages that read overly flowerly and proper as if he’s trying too hard to get into the style of the times. Along with that, there are large sections that remain relatively unchanged—specifically, most of the London scenes. There’s never really anything in here to suggest that this a fully-realized world, and I really wanted the book to get into some of the differences and changes zombies have forced on this world. Some of the double-entendre jokes are funny, but get tired after the fourth or fifth “balls” joke. (Although I’m fond of, “Yes, I hear young ladies are excited by public balls.”) Again, some of the characters feel like overkill, and there are parts that I think were thrown in there that reflects Grahame-Smith’s reading of the book. (See: Lizzy’s imagine spot involving Lydia.)Overall, I do find it fun, with a few problems that weigh the book down slightly. I don’t recommend it as strongly as some of the other Quirk Classic books, but it’s a strong concept and worth checking out.