princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Ready or Not - Meg Cabot While I’m initially wary of a sequel to a stand-alone book, I have been proven a few times that it can, indeed, work. I have no idea why I rated this so low at first, but on picking it up again, I loved this book, and actually think it’s better than All-American Girl. Unlike Mia from the Princess Diaries, Sam is a much more emotionally mature and capable character, which is great considering that the whole book is about teen sex and dealing with it in a positive light. Sam and her sister Lucy aren’t afraid to talk about it with each other (even if Sam is a little shy about it), and it really gets into the nasty business of slut-shaming and how to deal with it. Also, I like the fact that Sam and David are very attracted to each other, and are comfortable with that fact as well. For every parent who freaks out over their kids reading about “OMG ONOEZ THE SEX BUSINESS”, I highly recommend this book (and the first one!) as a mature approach to the whole business.