princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Waiting to Score - J. E. MacLeod Again, one from the ARC pile at work.Just very bleh feeling on this book. I didn't mind the sports angle of the book, but I could rarely relate to the characters and their problems. Zachary's a well-enough character, but yes, we get it- he's different from the other hockey players. He reads! He likes goth chicks! He plays guitar! And under no circumstance, does he want to be compared to his late father (an NHL player)! The conflict seems so ready, and then they add molestation and attempted date rape from Mac, the antagonistic team captain. But what really makes it wall bang-worthy is when Zach nearly takes advantage of his friend Sheila- and we're supposed to treat it likes it's no big deal because she tells him it's okay.The constant repetition got annoying as well. Like above, we get it, Zach's not a normal jock. And that everyone in town thinks his mother's a lesbian. And that he's really, really good at hockey. Also, that Mac hates him, and his Goth love interest, Jane, hates hockey players in general. You make up a drinking game and be sufficiently smashed within 50 pages of a 200 page book.I didn't hate enough to shelve it on kill-it-with-fire, but I was so bored, I thought that I should just give up and take it back to work. I think the only reason I finished this was because it was so short.