princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Ann Brashares This, I think, is destined to become a young-adult classic book, because after almost ten years after it was published, it still holds up very well. I love all four girls—you get the feeling that they’re normal teenagers who are bratty and impulsive and they mess up and have to deal with the consequences. Lena’s romance does come off as a bit of YA romance, but it works well in the context of the first book. And while Tibby starts off as the loner, “I hate you all” quasi-Goth, she rises above that role and develops in a character in her own right. There’s a sense of magical realism to the plot that doesn’t overwhelm the story (the titular Pants). Oh, and I also love the fact that romantic relationships do not define the girls’ friendships or their interactions with one another. A fantastic, fun, easy read.