princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

In Ashes Lie - Marie Brennan While Midnight Never Come was very much a “talky” book—a lot of the action and tension came from the dialogue and backstory—the follow-up was a much more action-packed and exciting read. While the sections switching off between the Protestant Revolution and the Great Fire of 1666 are a bit jarring at first, they seemed to flow better as you learned more about what was occurring in the previous chapter. One of my favorite things to read about in faerie books are the workings of the various courts, and in this book, you see how the various faerie courts of Europe either mirror or disregard their mortal counterparts. I also like how the main conflict is tied with what’s occurring in mortal London as well, giving further sense to how closely tied to mortals the Onyx Court and its sovereigns are. This is one of my favorite series, and I love going back and rereading these.