princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Darkest Hour - Meg Cabot Let’s talk about love triangles for a moment: I am really not a fan of them. If they’re handled well, then fine, I can stomach them. However, the trend in a lot of romances and young adult (especially in recent years) is to shove two guys into the reader’s face, with a clear favorite and use that as ~drama~. And that I cannot stand. Which brings us to Darkest Hour. While the first two books did have a slight love triangle subplot (in the form of guy crushes on Suze, ends up being driven away due to her position as a mediator; book 3 had a different situation), this book sets up the main arc for the second half of the series with Paul. Again, the biggest problem I have in this is that Carmel always turns out to be Mediator City, USA when we learn that Jack (and later, his brother) are both mediators. (Again, how did Suze not know about anyone else in Manhattan who had the same powers? I can understand her not wanting to talk about it, but still, I find it very doubtful.) The one thing I enjoyed about this is Jesse’s backstory, and how we learn more about his short life. I liked that he gets some sense of closure, even if he doesn’t end up leaving the mortal realm. However, Paul is a really undeveloped character, and using him as an antagonist in this does come out of left field. It feels more like a filler book than the previous two entries, even though a lot of plot points are set up in here.