princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Missing You - Meg Cabot Between the ending of Sanctuary and this book, I had really hoped for a better conclusion to 1800 Where R U altogether. There are some good points, but a lot of the book falls short.This another character-driven book, as the central mystery just serves to bring Rob back to Jess in order to find his sister. I like that it’s a callback to the first book, where Jess was finding kids who didn’t want to be found, although the circumstances are a lot different and more dangerous. I really wanted to see more done with Jess’s post-traumatic stress. It’s mentioned throughout the book, after her experiences in the Middle East, but it never plays a huge role in the story. She talks about having nightmares, except that they’ve conveniently stopped right around the book’s beginning, and I would think that she would have a hard time adjusting. Instead, the character plot is driven around what Jess really wants to do with her life. Her big character moment isn’t with the creep-of-the-book or rescuing kids, but instead, telling off her mother. Rob’s plotline is pretty much lifted from Michael’s in The Princess Diaries: he spends the time he and Jess are broken trying to prove himself worthy. Granted, I think Rob’s way is more believable, but there’s really not much to him aside from “Oh, btw, I have a sister now.”Surprisingly, Douglas had the most interesting character development in between books 4 and 5. When we last saw him, he was starting to move on with his life and dealing with his schizophrenia. In Missing You, he’s transformed himself into a confident speaker with a goal. I liked Douglas throughout the entire series, so seeing him get a happy ending made me smile.I do wish this book could have been better, there were a lot of interesting plot threads that never really go anywhere. It’s pretty much summed up by Jess about “The one person I could never find was myself,” but given all of the things she’s been through in the course of the books, it didn’t feel like as if she lost her way in life. Instead, the book feels like it’s just wrapping up loose ends and calling it a conclusion.