princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

It's Not News, It's Fark: How Mass Media Tries to Pass Off Crap As News - Drew Curtis This is another one of those books that I initially loved, but over time, my feelings have softened up toward it. However, I think that this has a lot of good points to make about Mass Media in today’s world, and it’s still pretty good. Curtis’s main argument is that there’s really not a lot of ‘important’ news that takes up media space, particularly when there’s not real news going on. Most of the non-news can go in one of several categories (all of which get their own chapter) with several examples proving the point. While Curtis says that he’s not a trained journalist, I do actually agree with a lot that he mentions. He does say that what he’s talking about shouldn’t apply to hard-hitting news, but a lot of the fluff pieces to eat up time. My one big nitpick is the inclusion of Fark comments at the end of each example article. They’re funny, but a lot of the included comments have the feel of “You had to be there” and jolts the reader out of the point for the respective chapter. Overall, decent read, would recommend for newshounds.