princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts - Larry Doyle This has to be my first real “Did Not Finish” in my Library project— I got this in the ARC pile at work a few months ago, thinking that I’d get to it eventually. I’ve read Larry Doyle’s other books—I Love You, Beth Cooper was okay, it was enjoyable on some level and I couldn’t get into Go Mutants! To quote the cover copy, this is a collection of short pieces “for fans who just want the satire, wit, merciless humor.” Which I’m assuming means anyone whose sense of humor has never expanded beyond fifth-grade dirty jokes. Doyle’s writing flips back and forth between Dave Barry-esque “Ain’t life crazy?” and highly exaggerated “parodies” in the style of the Seltzer and Friedberg oeuvre. Highlights include an endearing introduction of the author and just how awesome he is (read: a dick); a story about a young boy dealing with Daddy’s unemployment, only to find out that Daddy’s been dead for weeks (LOL!); tips for assholes beginning romantic relationships; and—my personal favorite—a critical look at the “original” manuscript for Twain’s Huckleberry Finn, which "improves" on the work through copious amounts of male-on-male rape and enough uses of certain racial slurs to edge the piece into offensiveness.I recommend steering clear of this book. The humor seems to be operating on the idea of “offensive = funny!” basis, but misses the mark and just hits on the offensive level. Just skip this one altogether, you’re not going to be missing out on much.