princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Odd and the Frost Giants - Neil Gaiman, Brett Helquist This was one of the two Neil Gaiman books that I hadn’t read. (Interworld, I *will* get to you eventually.) Surprised that I didn’t get to it earlier, as it’s mythology and short and it’s Neil Gaiman.Generally, I liked it. I’m not as familiar with Norse mythology, but the story gives enough information on who’s who and has the major elements of that pantheon. Odd reminds me a little of Coraline, as he’s another kid who’s shuffled around and ignored by the majority of his village and his step-family. Odd’s quieter and more introverted, though—he doesn’t really interact with anyone from his home and he just up and decides to run away. He seems almost too calm at times, particularly during the flashback when he shatters his leg. He’s a character who does think on his feet, but we don’t really see how his mind and logic works itself out.I liked how the three Aesir (Odin, Loki, and Thor) are portrayed—they’re not the popular idea of Norse gods, nor watered-down versions of the ones who appear in American Gods. For someone just getting into Norse mythology, it’s a good introduction to the kind of characters they are. Thor’s big and slightly bulk-headed, Odin observes, and Loki is…Loki. Of the three, he’s my favorite just for half of the things that come out of his mouth. (See his retelling of why they’ve ended up on Midgard in the first place as animals.) It’s a very light-hearted read. I didn’t feel like there was at much at stake whenever Odd goes to confront the Ice Giant controlling Asgard. There’s a little bit of trickery, and odd thinking on his feet, but it doesn’t feel like a life or death situation. (Although I do love the running gag of EVERYONE WANTS FREYA.) And Odd gets a slightly happy ending by growing physically bigger and the pain gone from his leg. I’m not adverse to happy endings, but the journey Odd takes in the course of the book doesn’t feel like he’s gone through much. His life was crap, sure, but there’s not much that he sacrifices in his quest to help the gods. And I just felt a little underwhelmed—this feels like there’s an epic story in this, but it’s whittled down to its barest bones. I want more from this story; I like the sample, I want to see what else this story can do.I do like this book, but it does leave me wanting for a fleshed-out book that takes Odd and the others on much harsher journey. Apparently, Neil Gaiman wants to do more with Odd, and this does really read like an introductory story to a larger series.