princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Size 12 and Ready to Rock - Meg Cabot After years of being promised, there IS a fourth Heather Wells book! And there shall be a fifth! *happy dances* (Also, I’d like to point out that in my eyes, Meg Cabot can officially do no wrong. Partially because of how much I enjoyed this, mostly because I didn’t scare her away whenever I burst into tears at her signing.)So fangirling aside.My major issue with a lot of chick lit books is that once the heroine finally hooks up with the main love interest, the next step in the fictional relationship is “Well, he said that he loves me but does he really love me? I mean really? OMG there’s a beautiful coworker CLEARLY I MUST AMP MYSELF UP. OTHER WOMEN ARE A THREAT CODE RED.” (This is why I ultimately gave up on Sophie Kinsella’s Shopaholic series.) And to be honest, I was really worried that Heather would fall into that trap. BUT because Heather is completely awesome and I wish I had her as an assistant dorm director instead of the one I had, she doesn’t do that. As of the start of book four, Heather and Cooper are comfortable with one another, they have a healthy sex life, and they actually talk things over like adults. It’s very easy to write Meg Cabot as being predictable (trust me, I’ve done it), but she can be surprising in her characterization and plot development. We also finally get to meet Tania Trace, the woman who supposedly ruined Heather’s life, properly in book four. (She has a cameo in the first book.) And again, I was ready to suffer through slut-shaming and treating Tania like an idiot. I won’t say that it’s a perfect characterization, but I did really like Tania, and I loved that she and Heather were able to put their differences aside and become friends. And I liked how the domestic abuse victim was portrayed. It’s a little romanticized with how Tania’s been able to keep her previous marriage out of the tabloids, with her ex-husband threatening to blackmail her, but I liked that she had reasons for keeping the marriage a secret. I like that Cabot’s been going a little darker with her plots—this is still relatively light-hearted in tone, but a fair amount of Tania’s backstory deals with domestic abuse, and a student-teacher relationship that ends badly. And I like that it doesn’t delve too much into Lifetime Movie of the Week territory, but they do discuss the abuse frankly and without sugar-coating it. I like that there’s even the idea of the pattern repeating with one of the young Tania Trace campers, and it does point out how domestic abuse victims justify their abusers’ actions. There wasn’t as much of the dorm life in this book, although the newly-christened “island of misfits toys” cast of students returned. Gavin and Jamie do have a great appearance in the first two chapters, but aside from a few plot developments, they’re regulated to background most of the time. The running theme of Fisher Hall getting a new dorm director gets solved, and I liked new boss Lisa—she’s got a good chemistry already with Heather, and I can’t wait to see how that develops in the next book. While I liked that there’s a vastly different student dynamic in this volume—having a bunch of bratty 14-16 year old girls and their fame-mongering mothers in the dorm—I really wanted to smack some of those girls. (Cassidy.) Overall, this is a welcome addition to the Meg Cabot canon and I applaud her for not going the atypical route of chick lit romances. This is a welcome entry in the Heather Wells series, an overall enjoyable read and when does book 5 come out?