princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

InterWorld - Neil Gaiman, Michael Reaves Being the massively huge Neil Gaiman fangirl that I am, I’m surprised that I was very indifferent to Interworld even before I finally picked it up. There’s been a number of times where I stood in the bookstore, looked at it, thought “Yeah, I should get around to that one of these days,” and then bought something else. I’ll be honest, I read it because I’m a completist and aside from a few short stories that I’ll probably get to in the next collection, all I have left of the major Neil Gaiman canon is four graphic novels and maaaaybe the Beowulf movie. (Which I have very conflicted feelings on seeing.) This is like how Odd and the Frost Giants was for me; I liked the book (I have yet to find something of Neil Gaiman’s that I absolutely hate something about it; see again, the Beowulf movie), but I got to the end thinking, “That’s all?” It’s a book where the story feels so much richer and grander than the 260 pages it allows. It’s mentioned in the afterword that Interworld started as a failed television pilot, and I can definitely see its roots in the story, but I think this would have worked better in a much different medium. *coughcomicbookcough**takeallmymoney*I do like the premise. I like the idea of alternate universes, I love the idea of a grand multiverse and the fact that you can easily jump from universe to universe by just walking into soft places in the world. I liked the detail that’s added that while yes, alternate universes are created based on people’s choices, the catalyst for their creation is based on much larger decisions than “What shirt did you wear today?” There’s even the detail that there’s thousands of Walkers spread across the multiverse, but they’re all slightly cracked mirror versions of the same person.The main Walker, Joey Harker, is a little boring—standard teen protagonist hero. I liked that he does feel like a real teenager; he has a bit of a mouth, he has a crush, he loves his family but doesn’t necessarily gets along with his siblings. It’s just all the other details that throw him into designated hero mode: he’s the most powerful Walker in the multiverse, everyone else at the base hates him, and he manages to befriend a creature that everyone else insists is dangerous. There’s nothing really compelling about him or his journey that I haven’t seen in other films/books/shows/insert medium here. I was more interested in the other Joey Harkers of the multiverse, how they react when “Oh, it’s another version of me” shows up at base. We get a little of this from Jay’s perspective, but there’s really not much to it and Jay gets killed off fairly early.The villains were the biggest example of why the book was so lacking for me. Part of the setup of the multiverse is that all of these universes are arranged in a sort of arc, with more scientifically-developed universes on the one end, magic-developed universes on the other, and the ones in the middle somewhere in between the two. Both factions have evil overlords who are conquering the multiverses and using the Walkers’ life energies to fuel their ships in the respectful fashion. The main villains of the book, Lady Indigo and Lord Dogknife are from one of the magic universes. We hear about the technological universes, and we see some of the inhabitants, but they’re never really front and center. And I feel like there’s so much more to this story that could have been there. I wanted to see more of the multiverse, more of the civilizations that populate them, and how Joey reacts to everything. I wanted more of the different threats—more mudluffs that are actually threatening, the science pirates who get mentioned but are never seen. It’s very evident that there’s a wealth of stories to take place in these universes, and it feels like a shame that we’ve only ever gotten one book out of it. I don’t feel like reading Interworld was a waste of my time or that I felt cheated by the end of the book, just overall disappointed that there wasn’t more to the story. It’s a decent enough of a read, but I don’t rank it high.