princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - Max Brooks One of the problems I have with a lot of apocalyptic fiction as a whole is that the setting very rarely deals with the global consequences of said apocalypses. Depending on the target sub-genre, we may hear how other countries or societies are coping with the apocalypse at end, but in the end, our focus is on Our Hero as He Tries to Save Us All. (Screw you, Brad Pitt!) This is not that kind of book. This is one of the very, very few examples of what happens when an apocalypse—and the oft-used zombies, to boot—is explored on a total global level, and what happens to nearly everyone else afterward. (And tangenting, Mira Grant does this too, but on a much smaller scale. So far. I’m not finished with her trilogy. Anyway.) I love that the zombie apocalypse starts in China, and predictably, misinformation and constant assurance from all global leaders is what dooms us all.And the other reason I love this book is that the heroes are not the chiseled-jaw soldiers, but normal people. You have a person like Paul Redeker being hailed as hero and a bastard, and he’s really an emotionless bastard who has a mental breakdown after being hugged by Nelson Mandela. (Hell, I really love that Brooks doesn’t shy away from the racism and hatred from any of the people he highlights.) Also, the scariest moments for me are not UNEXPECTED ZOMBIE JUMP SCARE but the incredibly human moments that appear. For example, Jesika’s recounting of her first winter up in Canada never fails to make me shudder. And yet, the other side of the coin, the truly heroic moments, especially towards the end of the book. If there is anything I have to criticize, some of the satirical moments feel way too easy for Brooks to take a shot at, especially since they’re not much more than thinly-veiled references. (Yes, the “If you got it, flaunt it” sequence was chilling when the house was overrun, but still.) That aside, however—this is one of my FAVORITE zombie novels and definitely on my forever must-read list. (And if you can, GET THE AUDIOBOOK. The acting is perfect and the suitably creepy parts come across really well. Better than a bunch of CGI climbing zombies.)