princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Night Shift - Stephen King While I don’t count this as his strongest collection, there are some standout short pieces in Night Shift that I do like. I’ve always thought that King’s horror is more effective when it’s shorter and some of the stories are standouts—“Strawberry Spring,” “Sometimes They Come Back” and “Graveyard Shift” are definitely some of the scariest short pieces I’ve read. It’s also worth noting that there’s some great suspense and literary tales in here. “The Last Rung on the Ladder” is one of the most heartbreaking pieces King’s ever written, and “The Ledge” is a great little suspense tale. There are some clunkers in here (I’ve never been fond of “Night Surf” or “Battleground”), but overall, there’s a lot of good stories to pick up and read at your leisure.