princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Abandon  - Meg Cabot So, this was a pleasant surprise! (Well, it's Meg Cabot, of course I'm going to enjoy it on some level.) Actually, what took me by surprise was the fact that it's very specifically stated that John is not supposed to Hades, and it is a take on the Hades/Persephone myth. That said- I liked Pierce, she's a lot darker than most of Meg Cabot's other heroines. I liked the fact that she's willing to own up to her mistakes and deal with her failures. Also, the fact that John's overpossessive nature creeps her out was really well done. The setting of Isla Huesos was effective creepy, especially the cemetery scenes. However, I did have a number of issues with the book. The secondary characters weren't as developed and I couldn't get that much of a connection with Pierce's cousin or Kayla. I would have liked to have seen more done with them. Also, Richard Smith fluctuates too wildly between "creepy old guy" to "obsessive mentor." My biggest problem, though, was the ending- SPOILERS AHOY! With a random lead-up that seemed to be entirely coincidental, the bad guy ends up being Pierce's own grandmother. Who's had little to do with the entire plot. Or reacted to Pierce's situation. It would have made more sense if it had been one of the school counselors, or one of the A-wing crowd, but nope. It's her grandmother. For really, no reason I can see. Unfortunately, since this is book one in a trilogy, we'll wait and see what happens with this so-interesting "twist."(I'm not hating the book completely, I did really enjoy a lot of it. It's just that the reveal was out of nowhere.)