princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Forever Princess - Meg Cabot First criticisms first. One of the things that I really wasn’t a fan of in this is the huge derailing of JP. Again, he really only exists to set up a LOVE TRIANGLE!!!! that ultimately doesn’t lead anywhere. This is the one problem I have with Meg Cabot’s YA books; she makes it so obvious who the main character will end up with. (Surprisingly subverted in some of her adult books, as we will see.) My one big complaint about the series as whole—the fact that almost all of the books occur too closely with one another—is actually fixed in this book, taking place a year and a half after book nine. Except now, I want to know what happened in the year and a half! I wanted to see Mia and JP’s relationship grow, how the Genovian public reacted to the revelation of a constitutional monarchy, how Mia finally starts maturing. It’s handwaved as that Mia was so busy writing her own book that she didn’t have time or feel like writing, which okay, I can see, but we couldn’t have one or two little updates in the time between? No? (We had to have separate books detailing Valentine’s Day, Christmas and Mia’s charity trip, but not for the important shit? Really?) I did like the slightly more mature and jaded tone of the book. Having slammed my head against the last three books, it was refreshing to see Mia look and evaluate her mistakes and accept them as her flaws. Michael’s returning was great, even if it was to fulfill the Triumphant Childhood Friend trope. The whole book is a big grand finale and it revels in it. Much like book three, it’s one where I can’t help but cheer on Mia as she earns her ending. It was a little sad when I finally picked this up for the first time and read it. I mentioned in the review for Book One that it’s one of those books that, surprisingly, ended up affecting me so much. And as I read through the series, between pumping my fist with fangirlish joy or tearing my hair out at the different plot twists, I still think that this one of those series where a young reader can pick it up and see a little bit of themselves in the characters. Personally, I noticed that a lot of my frustration came from the fact that I was already way beyond Mia emotionally, but the fact that I can still pick up the early books and still enjoy them on the same level as I did when I was fifteen has to say something.