princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Let It Snow - John Green, Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson Three authors I enjoy + three interconnected novellas + one ounce of holiday joy = YA Christmas candy fluff for my brain to gobble up.The Jubilee Express: Of the three, this is probably the story that is wildly improbable and the one I like the most. I like Jubilee—while she comes off as an overachiever, there’s still hints of her being a normal teenager. I love that while Jubilee has the automatic reaction of “Oh, God, my parents are so embarrassing,” but there’s a few hints that she still worries about them. The Flobie Five situation does come off as a little over-the-top, but some people have crazy hobbies. I really like Stuart as a love interest. He and Jubilee are able to keep up a smart conversation, and aside from a few verbal fumblings, they really work well together. Stuart’s mom comes off as a little creepy, but I think it’s more through Jubilee’s stressed mind and genuine caring from Stuart’s mom. It’s cute fun story that manages to be somewhat realistic.The Cheertastic Christmas Miracle: I do also like this story (aside from one running theme, but I’ll touch on that in the end), it’s a little adventure story amidst teenage relationship drama although there’s a bit of that too. I like that it’s the only one of the three that fully takes advantage of the setting. It’s very atmospheric with the scenes of the three kids driving/running/walking in this abandoned, snowed-in town. While it’s a completely stupid and dangerous thing to do, the idea that Tobin and his friends are having this grand adventure for kicks. It’s fairly action-packed, and never loses its sense of fun. There’s a bit of the same issue I had with Will Grayson, as Tobin sounds fairly interchangeable from any other male John Green lead, but in the context with him and JP and Angie, he does get his own voice and enough distinguishing characteristics. I also like the fact that he’s hesitant to pursue his relationship with Angie and has issues about crossing the line between friendship and relationship. The Patron Saint of Pigs: As much as I really like Lauren Myracle, this is the weakest story in the collection. There’s some enjoyable elements, and it’s not a bad story, it’s just weak. I like Addie, I like that she recognizes her mistakes and is trying to be a better person. Of the three protagonists, she does feel the most like a real teen girl who gets caught up in her own drama. I like her relationship with Jeb and that she’s genuinely sorry and heart-broken over making a mistake. But my problem with this story is while Addie learns her lesson about caring for others and not focusing on her self-created drama, the circumstances that lead to that conclusion are random and not at all Addie’s fault. There’s this whole set-up of her intending to leave work on time to pick up her friend’s Christmas present—a pet pig—, but her boss asks her to stay for a few minutes, and then a rush happens, and then someone accidently buys the pig. (I’m simplifying for review’s sake) I’ve been in those situations, and it’s not really Addie’s fault. If anything, the lesson feels more like “Maybe everyone should have a chance to explain things and then it wouldn’t seem like it’s an issue.”There’s two issues I have with the book overall. The grand finale in the last story feels too repetitive and a convenient way to shove all of the characters in the same place. I don’t mind having Stuart, Jubilee, Tobin and Angie all show up in the Starbucks where Addie works, but it’s a little overkill when suddenly everyone’s all “Oh! Jeb! You’re that Addie!” and repeat the respective plots after all of this build-up. I think it could have been handled a little better. (Although I did like reading a John Green character through another character’s eyes and coming off as an asshole.) My other issue is the cheerleaders. I understand that they’re just a plot point, but the prevailing attitude toward cheerleaders in general is what bugged me. More irritating when the first story tries to play up “Oh, well, maybe not all cheerleaders are vapid and annoying and vaguely sexist” and then portraying all of the cheerleaders as vapid, annoying and in one off-screen example, a cheater. But aside from those issues, it is a fun book to read. Like I said at the beginning, it’s fun Christmas crack candy for my brain, and I can overlook my issues most of the time.