princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Northanger Abbey - Margaret Drabble, Stephanie Laurens, Jane Austen Probably my second favorite Austen book. This is her writing a little more unpolished and natural, and you really get the sense of how funny she can be. I love how over-the-top Catherine is, especially when she looks at the world through Gothic-tinted lenses, and Henry teasing her about it the whole time. It’s a really good commentary on the views on women reading (specifically, the 500+ word rant Austen puts in about having characters read “real” books, not novels). More people need to read this book, as it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.