princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Princess Mia  - Meg Cabot So, this is kind of a late turning point in the series. First and foremost, we’ve got Mia having to face facts and realize that she needs to grow up and get over herself. I also like the fact that her parents actually act like parents and tell her to grow up and move on instead of wallowing in bed complaining about Michael.However, this does feel like the second part of book eight—I was mulling over this, and I think that the series would have been a lot more effective if a few of the volumes had just been lumped together. (It also doesn’t help that this book picks up right after the end of Princess on the Brink. It would have been a little more effective and believable if the action picked up a few weeks later.) I also really don’t agree that Mia was going through depression, just normal teenage hormones. Depression is a lot worse and more complicated than “My boyfriend left meeeee and my best friend isn’t speaking with me!” My biggest complaint, for the series as a whole, is the fact that Mia needs to step back and grow the hell up; it’s fine in the first few books, but by now, it’s becoming a huge, tired schtick.But speaking of growing up, the thing that I liked the most in this is Lana. The fact that she took the time to say, “Look, we’re getting a little old for this back and forth. Truce?” impressed me to no end. It could have been very easy for her to remain the bitchy popular girl antagonist for the finale, but the fact that she does bury the hatchet with Mia, and turns out to be fairly nice took her character in a much different turn. As for the main plot—the discovery of Princess Amelie’s edict making Genovia a constitutional monarchy—again, I felt that this would have been more effective if it had taken place much later in the year than immediately following the previous book. I would have also liked to have known more about why she wasn’t considered important in the Genovian royal family, aside from “Well, she was a sixteen-year-old girl!” While a lot of the book suffers from the problems that plague the latter half of the series, the new turning points do make the read a bit more worthwhile.