princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries, #8) - Meg Cabot If it wasn’t for the last fifteen pages of this book, I would have probably stopped reading the series as a whole. One of the things that I love about the first few books is that Mia is such a relatable character, and that’s why you want to keep rooting for her. By the time you get to book eight, though, she’s started to become more self-centered and whiny, and it really shows in this. The fact that her first reaction to learning about Michael’s leaving is “OMG YOU HATE ME DON’T YOU??” instead of actually listening to his reasons and thinking about their relationship. The endless waffling that goes on in her head also doesn’t help, since her whole goal is to get Michael to stay, instead of reminding him that “I don’t care what people think of our relationship, I love you.” But the real wallbanger for me is Mia going ON AND ON about losing “my precious gift!” There’s such a derailment of her character over the whole sex question in this series, particularly the emphasis on losing one’s virginity. At the very least, several other characters point out how stupid the whole idea of “your precious gift” and keeping one’s self pure. (To quote her mother, “It’s just sex.”) I’m also not a fan of JP’s derailing into an alternate love interest—I liked him a lot better in the previous book, but his increasingly obvious attempts to get Mia just irked me. Like I said, I would have stopped reading the series if it wasn’t for the fact that Mia wised up and realized that she was being a horrible and selfish person to her friends. A little disappointed that this happens near the very end, right as I wish to reach into the book and smack her, but at least she realizes her flaws and tries to redeem them. If anything I really liked about this is Michael—he feels at times the only rounded and mature character in the whole series. (And he also reveals that he’s not perfect either! I love the fact that he has casual sex and has no hang-ups about it!) In one of my other reviews, I mentioned that one of my big problems with long running series is the tendency for main characters to default to their original personalities even after several books of character development. These last three Princess Diaries books are a glaring example of this trait and it really grates on me.(Also, the random screenplay excerpts really bothered me, if only for giving the long-time readers information that we already know. *sigh*)