princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

An Abundance of Katherines - John Green You know what? I like John Green. I enjoy his writing, I like that his books do have a very a natural feel to them. Maybe it’s because I happened to start with this book than the perennial Looking for Alaska, but An Abundance of Katherines is a great book to get started with his works.The thing that I like about John Green’s books is that while most of his plots tread very familiar ground—death of a friend, growing up and moving on—he does make it feel like a unique experience to that specific set of characters. While it’s one thing to apply this paint to slightly nerdy outcast Southern teenagers, Colin is a different beast. You’ve got a kid who’s been told that he’s special for his whole life, and the moment that slips away from him, he’s stuck in a rut. The fact that being reassured that “Oh, no, you’re special” kind of turns him into a needy boyfriend isn’t brushed away, it’s actually brought up as a massive character flaw. And Colin’s journey is really the strength of this.It’s a relatable book. There’s the anxiety of college and leaving everything that made Colin ‘Colin’ behind, and that he’s not really much of anything anymore. Which I can see—while I wanted to reinvent myself in college, there was still this nervousness of leaving everything I knew behind. There’s this idea of staying stagnant that fixates in both Colin and Lindsey—Lindsey wanting never to really leave her hometown and change from a different person. And what I like at the end is that we see the seeds being sown to accomplish the need for change, but we still never know where they’ll exactly end up. On the way other end of the room, there’s Hassan. Oh, Hassan, you and your crazy, Hardee’s/Judge Judy-loving, fatty self. It’s a running thing in Green’s books, that I tend to gravitate toward the designated best friends, but they’re just so well-done, I can’t help myself. And everything that comes out of Hassan’s mouth is comedy gold. In comparison to the other stuff he’s written, this is one of the books that I recommend starting with when getting into John Green. Like I said, it’s a very relatable book, but doesn’t hold the emotional gut punch of Alaska or The Fault in Our Stars, and it’s funny. There’s probably a lot more people who can look at Colin and go, “Oh, hey, I’ve been there. Kind of.” If there is anything that I don’t like about it, it’s the Theorem, but only because ohgod hard math my brain send help. (It’s interesting, and the math behind it is interesting, but ow my brain.)