princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Waiting for You

Waiting For You - Susane Colasanti I picked this up after flipping through So Much Closer at work and generally liking what I read. I liked it well enough to go and grab one of Colasanti’s earlier books. Unfortunately, there wasn’t as much pep and funny to grab me with Waiting for You.A huge problem with the book is the pacing, especially with the first third of the book. The chapters were extremely erratic, switching between what was going on in the plot and having Marisa pontificate on her interests and feelings. It felt jarring and took me out of the plot. The chapters whenever Marisa went off about her interests and life didn’t really gel with the others. She would go on for about five pages about why she did photography, or why she absolutely had to practice her violin in the bathroom. While it’s not a laundry list of characteristics and we see her doing and enjoying some of her hobbies, I wanted to see their introduction integrated more into the story itself, not getting a whole chapter with a tiny bit of plot development.There’s also the issue that a lot of these chapters serve solely to introduce secondary characters, again, with no previous set-up. For example, Marisa’s little sister Sandra gets randomly introduced in chapter five, with no prior mention. (Heck, we’re not told she’s the younger sister until about a page and a half in.) Aunt Katie is another character who just gets a random introduction, with little to no build-up, and in fact, I thought could have been completely cut from the story. It’s also this random, sprawling writing style that made me dislike Marisa as our main character. I can’t get a real grasp on who she’s supposed to be—is she an artist? Normal high school girl? Someone trying to get over past issues? There’s at least one or more mentions of everything that she does, but it never defines Marisa. Also, her interests really don’t show anything more to her character. There are scenes scattered throughout the book where Marisa describes taking photos and why she likes doing it, but the only reason it feels like she’s a photographer is so she can discover that her dad’s moving out. Then, it’s randomly dropped that she has an anxiety disorder and has been getting over a year-long bout of depression. While this would have helped for great characterization, it doesn’t feel realistic. First, side tangent on the fact that Marisa claims that she doesn’t go to therapy anymore. I don’t know what this says about Marisa or her parents, but depression does not work that way. There’s no easy cure-all, and if Marisa actually had an anxiety disorder, she would have been recommended to get help and medication. The love story is barely interesting. Once Marisa hooks up with Derek, it feels like he was leading her on the whole time and we never get to see the side of him that complimented Marisa on her artwork. His ex-girlfriend is there to be catty and bitchy and only wants to steal him back. I’m a little bit more interested in Nash, but there’s not much that we see to him, and it’s so obviously set up that he’s Dirty Dirk the podcaster. There’s no real build-up to either love interest. The only major plotline that goes anywhere interesting is Marisa’s parents splitting up, and even then, there’s not much done with it. Marisa indulges in a lot contrived drama—she hates her father, he’s must have obviously cheated on her mother; oh no, her mother had the affair, now what is she supposed to do? The fact that her mother purposefully delays telling either one of her daughters about what’s happening also pissed me off—I know divorces and affairs are really messy, especially when dealing with the kids’ reactions, but her mother’s excuses of how everything happened so fast and “I just want to be happy for me!” felt contrived and plot convenient. Also, the resolution of Marisa starting to forgive her mother felt too rushed and way too easy. Overall, it’s not a very good book. It’s not terrible, but the bland nature of the plot and the drama was way too convenient to fit the plot needs. Also, the handling of teen depression is really bad. I may have to give her other books a full read, but I probably won’t be picking up any more of Susane Colasanti anytime soon.