princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

The Mist

The Mist - First of all, part of the reason that I started my library reread is because of this book, as it had been sitting on my shelves for about three years (now five) unread, because I saved it from work, and just never got around to reading it. And I didn’t want to get rid of it without reading it. And thus began the long haul that’s been going on for the past two years. (A fun long haul, but a long haul nonetheless.)That aside. The Mist was a book I had wanted to read for some time—I actually haven’t read the entirety of Skeleton Crew—and I had heard various things about the movie. (Yes, I know how the movie ends.) And aside from the main character, I actually really liked it. There’s an incredibly slow build-up to the arrival of the mist and the creatures, and once the characters get inside of the grocery store, everything implodes. I also really liked that there’s no definite explanation for the creatures; while there’s speculation around the army base and Project Arrowhead, there’s never a real confirmation on what actually happened to cause the mist and the creatures. And both scenes inside and out of the grocery store are just horrifying. I loved that we never get to see the larger, tentacled creatures and the ones that do openly attack the grocery store are still extremely messed-up and they’re just the little ones. And oh god the scene in the drugstore…*shudders*.The characters were okay. This is one of those books were the antagonistic forces—not only the monsters, but Ms. Carmody and her ever-growing cult—are the driving force of the book. I really didn’t like any of the main characters. I don’t mind flawed characters, but I don’t feel as invested with them unless I can sympathize with them. And this is my problem with David Drayton; I did sympathize with him and his need to get back home and make sure that his wife was okay and just to get his son out of that grocery store. And then he goes and has sex with Amanda Dumfries. I know it sounds like I’m nitpicking, but my problem is that I never get the idea that David has a moral problem with cheating on his wife—I get the need for letting off steam, and I get the psychological reasons for why they did it, I just don’t get the feeling that David feels remorse for cheating on Steff. (Oh, and he uses the “Oh, she’s probably dead by now” excuse to boot. I’m sorry, but I hate when characters do this in horror novels. No. Screw you.) But aside from that one character issue, I did really enjoy the rest of the book for being a fun little horror read. (Although reading it on my lunch break, yeah that was a really bad idea. Ergh. There were a couple times that I had put it down just to eat.) It’s creepy and atmospheric, and even while I don’t like the lead characters, I still enjoyed their story and fight to get out of the Supermarket from Hell.