princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Teen Idol

Teen Idol - Meg Cabot This has to be one of the best examples of a good Meg Cabot book—the characters are fun and believable, the writing’s good, the plot’s believable (if a little bit exaggerated), and it’s just so much fun to read. The shining point of Teen Idol is Jen—she’s down-to-earth and feels like a normal ordinary girl. She doesn’t obsess over her body image or complain that she’s too plain and doesn’t have any friends, she’s just Jen. Which is why I love her; Jen feels like a normal girl who could actually be everyone’s best friend. She’s also fairly no-nonsense; once she starts shaking things up in her school, she will not take no for an answer.Luke Striker is an interesting MacGuffin character. He’s presented as just a Hollywood star who’s just goofing around for a little, but you really get the sense that he wants to try out the high school thing. I’m not sure how well his disguise would have worked over the long-term (which obviously doesn’t happen for plot purposes). I do like his rapport with Jen, and I really like the fact that he’s uninterested in her as a love interest. Going on that, I like Scott, and I can see his attraction to Jen. It’s on Jen’s side that it kinda comes off as a little random. There’s a slow realization that she’s in love with Scott, but when she says that “I’ve never had a boyfriend because I’ve been waiting for you!” is a little out-of-character from her practical attitude. (I do like that Scott thinks he has absolutely no chance against Luke, and Jen is basically yelling, “I. DON’T. LIKE HIM. THAT WAY.” the whole time.)The side characters are also pretty good, although they’re not perfect. I’m very drawn to Cara (if only because I could relate to her situation), but I would have liked to see more done with her aside from “Makeovers make EVERYTHING better!” She seems like an interesting character, but there’s not much aside from crying in the bathroom every few pages. It was the same thing with Trina, there wasn’t really much to her aside from the star-struck best friend. Geri Lynn, though, was probably my favorite, if only because she wasn’t painted as a harpy ex-girlfriend.There’s really not much plot to this, and it comes off as more of a character-driven book. But it’s so much fun to read that the thin-plot and the pacing don’t bother me as much. It’s a fluffy happy read that I adore.