princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Lemonade Mouth

Lemonade Mouth - Mark Peter Hughes This is another book that I’ve looked at in the bookstore, spend three or four weeks waffling on whether or not I should read it, and then when I get to the point that I haven’t bought anything new, I just give in and buy it. I’ll admit, it caught my attention when my Disney-obsessed friend had mentioned the movie, but I picked this one up on my own.I generally liked this book. It’s not stunning or life-changing, but it’s a decent enough read to check it out. The multiple perspectives are handled fairly well—the main five characters do sound similar to one another, but there’s enough stylistic differences to tell which character is telling what part. I also liked that we got some outsider perspectives from the friends and other kids at this high school. The outsider parts add to the mythic atmosphere behind the band Lemonade Mouth, and it really does feel like one of those high school myths that everyone tells year after year. I also thought it a surprise at the revelation that Lemonade Mouth was actually a fairly successful group. It’s played around enough where it could have been that they were just a small high school band, but I like the fact that they were able to get a larger fanbase.The main five characters felt pretty realistic to me. Yes, they’re all in search of their own identity, but I liked that they had their own problems that they were dealing with privately. Even the relationship dramas between Mo, Charlie, Wen and Olivia that popped up were actually handled a lot better than I expected. Stella’s a little too “Fight against the oppressive school administration” stereotype, but I liked that a lot of her plot is her frustration at moving and not being as close with her mother. Charlie’s loneliness was one I could have really identified with back in high school, and I like that he’s trying to move away from listening to this imaginary voice in his head. Olivia is the weakest character, easily—we get bits of her storyline and struggles with having a father in prison, but I never really felt like I got to know her. Mo’s and Wen’s stories are pretty standard YA fare—Mo is trying to reconcile her traditional family with her American upbringing; Wen is dealing with the pending marriage of his father to a much younger woman. I do like the sense that all five of these kids are lonely, and that they find something that brings them together. But if there’s any weak points, it’s that a lot of these storylines really don’t go very deep. There is character growth, but the plot moves quickly, and I think Hughes could have explored more to these characters.So, overall, pretty decent read. I haven’t seen the film version (although judging by the soundtrack, I really don’t think I should try to make comparisons) but as a standalone book, it’s worth checking out.