princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman I don’t know why I put this down as a three initially. Obviously, it’s bumped up after subsequent rereadings. I think it’s partially because Charlie reminds a little too much of Richard from Neverwhere at the beginning of this, as they’re both milquetoast characters who get thrown into the fantastical world. But while Richard just seems to accept everything that goes on in that book, Charlie does take charge of his situation and although he cocks up massively, Charlie does try to make things right. But for the beginning of the book, I’m not a fan of Charlie. I can relate to him and his boring life (and many of those Mitty-esque fantasies), but I don’t really warm up to him until he starts to man up. And aside from Mr. Nancy (because he’s one of my favorites from American Gods), the only character I really gelled to automatically was Daisy. She’s funny, I like her chemistry with Charlie and her natural desire to do right. Most every other character falls along the same lines of Charlie: okay, character, kind of bland and then starts getting better as the plot goes on. Although Maeve Livingstone is pretty awesome anytime that she shows up.This could really be taken as the lighter and softer version of American Gods, as it touches on some of the same general themes (including one that’s a big massive spoiler). It’s more of a side story exploring the larger aspects of that universe, and I like that this is a more personal story than the American epic. And to people who think that Good Omens is only funny because of Terry Pratchett, read this to be proven wrong. Gaiman’s been funny, and this is hysterical while Gaiman retains his general style. The part where Spider is being attacked by murderous birds, but then you add murderous penguins and flamingos. I do like this book a lot, but I really wouldn’t recommend to start with when going into Gaiman for the first time. It’s more accessible, but it’s not very representative of his work as a whole. I’d actually say start with American Gods and then moving on to this.