princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)

Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) - Richard Castle I’ve mentioned my conundrum with tie-in novels, specifically, the fictional works becoming defictionalized. (I have some more proper tie-in novels coming up, I’ve got a different soft spot for those.) So, first, I’d like to say that I’ve actually never really watched Castle—though I’ve been meaning to—yet, I still picked this up. Because, hey, it looked interesting, and who knows, I might liked it. Also, it was from the “save from work” pile.Unfortunately, I just couldn’t get into the book at all. I don’t know how familiar I need to be with the series within the book’s context, but a lot of things like characterization and plot details were sacrificed. I don’t care if it is just a tie-in book to popular TV show, good writing should never be skimped. Nikki Heat felt like a cliché, I hated that the book resorted to woman-in-trouble tropes (like a lengthy scene wherein Nikki’s threatened by a baddie wearing nothing but a jacket. Because she was walking around her apartment in the nude. *facepalm*) I’m still interested in watching the show proper, but even if I did become a Castle fan, I probably won’t be picking up subsequent volumes.