princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

The Looking Glass Wars (Looking Glass Wars #1)

The Looking Glass Wars (Looking Glass Wars #1) - While I love the concept of this book, there are points where I feel like the author wasn’t sure what audience he was writing for. Thematically, it’s a very dark take on the Alice books, complete with elements of steam and cyber-punk and I love the descriptions of the various weaponry. However, Redd and Jack of Diamonds don’t really work as viable antagonists. Redd either evil laughs at every turn and while her childish personality works well for a take on the Red Queen, it comes off as quite childish at points. Jack of Diamonds only exists as a comically fat aristocrat to point and laugh at his ineptitude. However, the setting and thematic elements were enough for me to enjoy the book and even pick up the first sequel.