princessstarr

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box

Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box - Mira Grant A short, chilling read from Mira Grant (alias Seanan McGuire, Destroyer of Emotions) that takes a nihilistic but harmless game of “What if” and turns it far more destructive than its players could imagine. In the short amount of pages, Grant manages to give a detailed sketch of all of the players of the Apocalypse Scenario and how they may potentially react to the mysterious Box in front of them. My only real complaint is that she does tip the reader’s hand as to what’s going on, without giving enough suspension of disbelief as to what’s going on. It may fit with the Scenario’s creator, but from a narrative style, it’s a little too obvious and I didn’t feel doubt as to what’s going on.That said though, Grant manages pack a punch (as she so often does) in a few thousand words. It’s a fantastic little story, and while I won’t claim it’s a must-read-right-now, it is a spooky little read to keep in mind for the next few weeks.